Sunday, May 30, 2010

Kickin' It Old Skool



Every rite of passage tends to make us reflect on our past. Somehow moving from one stage of life into another, takes us back and then sends us forward into the future. Weddings are a great example of this. How many reception speeches are based on good times from days gone by, as family and friends wish us well on our new adventures to come?

Our trip to Canada this summer was driven by my little sister's announcement of her wedding date. Over the years, I have been collecting stories that I was sure would be perfect for her big day; tales from our childhood..and even some of our more recent adventures. However, I ended up looking to Sesame Street for inspiration as well as to Steph's friends and some of our family members to help me re-create a version of Guy Smileys, This is Your Life. This meant connecting with some of my kid sisters greatest fans; far more fun than sitting at a computer and trying to type out a speech (something I am neither good at or enjoy delivering!)

To continue the retro vibe & add to the evening's visuals; a painting in orange, brown & blue with the Hensen-created character, complete with my sisters old & new surname's.

Needless to say, the day was extraordinary. And when it came time for my 'speech', she didn't try to beat me up for telling things that are best kept ours!

Wishing YEARS of love and happiness to my sister and my NEW BROTHER!
Thank-you for putting on an amazing celebration for all of us to share!

No comments: